Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Claiming the Dawn

"The canvas isn't broad enough!" thought I,
and with the sunrise I jumped up,
taking my hives and my shredded past
out for a ride 
to catch the dawn,
soul expanding with the horizon
to the tunes of pre-Thanksgiving Christmas songs
("Do You Hear What I Hear?"  I do!  I do!),
drumming my pen on the wheel,
wanting to write, drum, and drive all at once;
and the morning bustle was still there
(I had to check) --
trails of cars, headlights streaming in the morning light,
school buses pausing as mine used to do.
Thrilled to be part of the world's pulse was I,
and the clock started ticking again --
this time for me! -- my morning, my sun, my ride --
and back up the driveway I drove,
glowing from the harpsichord rhapsody
of "The Gordian Knot Untied" on 105.9 . . .
needing to celebrate. 
Furtive chase of the dawn completed,
I made the morning coffee
at 8:30 a.m. today 
for the first time in eight years --
two scoops, French Roast organic.
(Better make that four.)

No comments:

Post a Comment