Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Old Shoes

I need to step back,
for I cannot breathe
or hear the wind
rustle through the trees. 
Memory's caught
on a branch somewhere,
and I lost my sleeve
miles and miles back there. 
My shoes are worn,
my head is hot
with all of those feelings
I lived and forgot. 
Nothing's familiar,
yet nothing's new;
no one has lied,
yet little rings true. 
I'm alive,
I can tell,
but I'm no longer certain
at what point memory
drew the curtain. 
So what did I leave
and what did I lose --
How long have I worn
these ratty old shoes?

2 comments:

patience and the prodigal said...

So what did I leave and what did I lose?
All yellows and mellows
No turquoise, no blues!

You must have worn your heart on your sleeve.
Your'e alive; celebrate, not time yet to grieve.

Bee Gees "It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away".Perfectly penned.

Turquoise said...

"Yellows and mellows" -- makes me laugh.

Post a Comment