Friday, May 20, 2011

Eye to Eye

While grey fluffs of feathers trilled like finely tuned piccolos
and fire-red altos warbled, flutelike, from the treetops,
Myself spied, across the trees and brush,
Himself.

As our eyes met (click!),
he lowered his head
and turned away,
instantly deferential . . .
the gentleman.

I wondered if he'd really go.

When I proceeded on my way,
he turned back.
"Ah!"  I thought.
"He never meant to leave."

Calculating, observant
was he.
Poised tall on some old wood now,
he watched me walk.

"Thank you, kind sir,"
thought I,
forgetting, for a split second,
who he was,
thinking dimly, faintly, that I must cross before him.

I did recall, however,
that the door to the house
was locked
and I -- keyless.
It was then that my mind was jarred awake
to the reality of this other.

Yet his cloak
(peculiar!)
had faded to light brown
on one side . . . . .
Evidence of a lost battle?

Perhaps not.
Perhaps simply a worn coat
received in just that condition.
A stealthy beggar was he,
this silent figure in black.

So patient was he,
so patient,
still waiting . . .
while I pondered and walked
this way, then that,
wondering when to cross,
and how, precisely,
to get inside.

In a flash,
legs flew 
(mine)
with invisible
wings.

He was behind me, somewhere,
and I could no longer see him
watching me.

Hands pounded
(mine)
on the door fiercely, desperately,
while lungs roared
(also mine)
as if to save my life.
But only "as if."

Pretending, was I,
(heart pounding nearly
out of my chest).
Pretending, was I . . .
only because
it "could have come to that."

But, of course, I will never know.
Only Himself knows --
Himself,
who heard others open the door for me
and who, undaunted,
lingered at length,
sniffing, double-checking,
before lumbering slowly
on all four feet
downhill.

No comments:

Post a Comment