Saturday, February 19, 2011

Under the Cloud: The Hidden Toll of Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS)

An unspoken -- often unrecognized -- and painful aspect of MCS:

I've found that, within the 24-to-72-hour window after a significant chemical exposure, emotions can loom larger than usual.  The chemicals seem to act directly on the brain.

I had three back-to-back, strong chemical exposures last week, paving the way for an unexpected, unnecessarily heightened sensitivity to something a friend had said.

When I began to detoxify, the matter looked and felt so small and manageable, even negligible.  Before I'd begun to detoxify, however, I'd nearly wrecked a beautiful friendship by speaking my mind while "under the chemical cloud."

This pattern has occurred before.  I realize now that I must postpone airing my thoughts on "emotionally noteworthy" matters until I've at least begun to detoxify from a strong chemical exposure.  (At which point there may be nothing "emotionally noteworthy" to discuss.)

My friend responded forgivingly to my verbal mishap.  This really made me cry.  What a mess I'd made.  My lovely friendship now has a scar which needs to heal, caused by my speaking out in haste, and definitely at the worst time.

To all those equally ravaged by MCS:  Hang in there until the emotional "cloud" of the last chemical exposure passes.   And feel better -- soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment